Monday, June 29, 2009

Shirt Du Jour: Crispy 80's Michael Jackson.

Funny story. Okay, maybe not so funny as ironic. Twisted and gut-wrenching also comes to mind, but I wouldn't be inclined to describe it as such. So let's stick funny - not ha ha - but STRANGE.

We had this shirt (yes, it sold already so quit emailing, you ambulance chasers!) for five years. It languished in our store begging to be bought and was browsed by over 3,000 people during its substantial shelf life. I kinda liked the thing, so I wasn't in a big hurry to sell it and in light of the traffic it was garnering, I didn't really entertain the offers that periodically appeared in my in-box. I generally maintained a congenial "thanks but no thanks" disposition, because again, I was in no hurry to sell it.

Let me pause here to add a brief editorial. Yes, this whole blog is basically an editorial so perhaps that is a bad choice of words. But in any event, get off my case and allow me to continue. I never imagined Michael Jackson would join the ranks of River Phoenix, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis & a host of others whose deaths have become pop phenomenons with the same sort of mysterious connotations and general mystique that surrounds say, the JFK Assassination. Not the conspiracy aspect of it, mind you, but the total strangeness of the whole thing. Put plainly, Michael Jackson wasn't on my list of famous people that might die soon. If asked on June 24th (or prior to noon on June 25th) I would have said he would be like James Brown or BB King (I know the King is not dead) - music legends that never really retired. But such is fate. Now, on with the story.

This shirt sold approximately 10 minutes after Michael Jackson's death was confirmed by various news sources. It seems funny (strange) that Jackson's passing provided added value to this product but in the general course of things, it is completely understandable. I'm sure Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcet (who coincidentally passed on the same day as Michael Jackson - which might add to currently formulating conspiracy theories - stay tuned) merchandise has also seen a similar surge in demand. Makes you wish you saved at least one of those Publisher Clearing House envelopes, doesn't it?

I'm kind of sad because I am going to miss the shirt (and Michael Jackson) but I take comfort in the fact that the shirt has gone to a good home - the buyer's email address made it quite clear that they are a bigger Michael Jackson fan than I could ever be.





www.Thriftstore-Cowboy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment