Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hawaii Five-O Scavenger Hunt Part 2

Let's call this "variation on a theme." I am aware that this blog is touted as one involving itself with vintage clothing. But lets not be pompous and exclusive here. Housewares and furniture can be equally enticing and therefore deserve inclusion, even though such items really cannot be adorned practically for a night on the town. As a compulsive collector of small coffee cups, I rarely turn down any espresso cup worthy of a place in my cramped cabinet(s). I generally hold to the same standard across a spectrum of vintage goods that I chance across (I thought I had a problem until I met my wife!) so this standard is easily applied to the other items that populate our house with no real practical purpose at all. I, however, never claimed to be the least bit practical and therefore have an easy time justifying our pack rat status.

This week has been a blast searching for items to feature here. I have an entire host of pictures from season one that need matching items, but those will come in due time. I must admit that this has been more of a challenge than anticipated. The age of the items makes them more difficult to locate in these modern times and you can bet that if I owned any of them, they wouldn't be for sale. Some clothing related posts are on the way - I just can't stand to pass up the housewares.
Once upon a time, before Dunkin' Donuts was a coffee shop, before Starbucks and McCafe, the Bunn-o-matic was truly king - and paper coffee cup sleeves were an art form. Okay, maybe not an art form, but definitely craft-worthy. To the right is a screen shot from "A Thousand Pardons - You're Dead!" (Hawaii Five-O, season two, original air date 9/24/69) in which we have the "basket woven coffee cup holder" complete with handle. I am sure that isn't the official name, but if anyone wants to provide me with one, I will gladly edit this post at a later date. I couldn't find any basket woven cup holders, but I am not surprised. Such a delicate item would be hard pressed to survive 40 years of usage, up to and including the recent popularity of the de-cluttering movement; various garage sales in the name of down sizing; and grandchildren sneaking off with them to be used in conjunction with an inadequate tea set. But I am not one without resources:











This is my personal favorite, from the same episode. I once had a patio set with a similar floral print on vinyl cushions. The previous owner had kept it immaculate condition (probably indoors) - there wasn't a spot of rust on it and the paint was crisp and white. The original umbrella and table cloth matched the seat cushions and it looked fabulous in my kitchen. We lost it in a move, but trust me, if I had a picture of it, it would be posted here as well. The item below, while not an exact match, is still a worthy find. The floral print is similar enough to meet my personal standards for this scavenger hunt and if I lived in the same state, I would probably be knocking on their door.




Stay tuned - there's more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment