Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hawaii Five-O Scavenger Hunt Part 3

Yes, 'tis but another episode of The Hawaii Five-O Scavenger Hunt. As I impatiently await the release of season 7 on DVD (October 20th 2009) I have no problem rolling through 1-6 again (there are quite a few episodes worth more than a single viewing). My camera is bulging with photographs of items I have yet to locate (though, rest assured, while you are asleep: I am constantly searching). I have made a personal commitment to make Etsy.com the primary source of these featured items - it is a smashing good site with lots of fantastic sellers hosting a superb sampling of items from which to choose. To its solid credit, Etsy has a unique feel and flavor similar to that previously possessed by certain e commerce sites - say, oh, about ten years ago. Un-said site(s) will remain unnamed here, as I think we both know who "they" are, and deep down "they" probably know who "they" are anyway -- and perhaps are also none too happy about it. Maybe.


I think the phrase "avocado green ice bucket" really says it all. Come to think of it, when you use "avocado green" to describe anything aside from an actual avocado, you can generally assume that you are dealing with vintage - or retro at the very least. How the varying interior and exterior shades of a tropical fruit (yeah, it's a fruit - I looked it up) came to be the defining colors of a decade is totally beyond me, but I really like avocados so I guess you could say that I have come to terms with the whole ordeal.

This screen shot (above, on the right) is from "The One with the Gun" (original air date 1/28/70). The item of interest is located on top of the fridge on the left side of the photograph. Of course I could have gotten a better close up, but the picture would not be nearly as cool with Steve McGarrett cropped out!

I was actually surprised at how many matches/similar items I found:

















And because no worthwhile cocktail serving set exclusively consists of a solitary ice bucket:


















Stay tuned, there's more to come.

www.Thriftstore-Cowboy.com

1 comment: